Fathers in 3D: Our Design, Our Destiny, Our Duty
Jun 16th, 2019 by bryanhudson
Fathers in 3D
Our Destiny, Our Design, Our Duty
Psalm 103:13 ESV As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
Proverbs 17:6, Children's children are the crown of old men, and the glory of children is their father.
Proverbs 1:8, My son, hear the instruction of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother;
A. A Father’s Destiny (Purpose)
Fathers instruct, mothers impart the law of God. Instructions and principles form the basic tools for building anything, including a life. “Law” speaks of what to do. “Instruction” speaks of how to do.
1. He is destined to bring correction and Instruction. Correction from a father prepares children to accept God’s correction
Hebrews 12:9, “Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?”
2. He is destined to be admired by his children and grandchildren.
B. A Father’s Design
Fathers, like Adam, the “father” of Eden, are developed by divine instruction and maximized (brought to fullness) through action in divine purpose. Gen. 1:26, 2:8-15
1. He is designed to reflect Father God’s:
2. He is designed to cultivate (tend and keep) the purpose of God in sons and daughters
Ephesians 6:4, And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.
3. He is designed to Reflect Christlikeness and Remove any curse
Galatians 3:13, Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree" ), 14that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
C. A Father’s Duty
Fathers are gateways to provision, protection and power. “In the gates…”
Jeremiach 17:19, Thus the LORD said to me: "Go and stand in the gate of the children of the people, by which the kings of Judah come in and by which they go out, and in all the gates of Jerusalem; 20and say to them, "Hear the word of the LORD, you kings of Judah, and all Judah, and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, who enter by these gates.
1. His duty is to lead the way (Not like Samuel 1 Sam. 8:1-3 “Our father which art inactive”)
2. His duty is to overcome obstacles and build for the future
Nehemiah 4:14, “And I looked, and arose and said to the nobles, to the leaders, and to the rest of the people, "Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your houses."
3. His duty is to set standards that children and others should follow
PRO 22:28 Do not remove the ancient landmark which your fathers have set.
Our responsibility to our Fathers is to:
Listen to him
Learn from him
Lean on him